Yesterday, I had some errands to run and had no choice but to take all the kiddos along. Leaving during the middle of the afternoon, can mean trouble for Em. That's usually when she'll crash from not sleeping in the night. I mean crash, a few days ago it took me 2 hours to wake her up after she napped for a very long time. So naturally, Em crashed on the drive to the store and I knew it was going to be somewhat challenging. She weighs about 50 lbs now and it feels like twice as much when she's asleep. It is dead weight. I'm not very tall so it's hard for me to carry her for long. Thankfully this store happened to have shopping carts and thankfully she still fits into them. The problem came when I was trying to get her in the shopping cart. It was quite the scene-me trying 3 times to lift her in that cart while she slept like a log. The cart kept moving and for the first time I could not get her in. It was a one of those moments that hurt inside a little bit. I was near tears and felt so incapable when a man grabbed her and started helping me get her in the cart. Even with 2 of us, it was quite the scene and challenge to get her in. His sweet act of kindness meant so much to me. I could tell by the way he looked at her that he knew she had Down syndrome. It was very sweet the way he looked into her face, as if he loved her as much as we do.
They say it takes an army to raise a child with special needs. I guess we can even include shopping. Take notice of the "special" mommies while you are out and about. I know first hand how hard it can be and how even small gestures of help go such a long way for tired, depleted moms.



2 comments:
Shopping; the great adventure!! Wow, I'm so glad that stranger stopped to help you - that's the best. Aren't our kids such "kindness barometers"? People really show their true selves around them. I could just picture you struggling there by yourself - my heart goes out to you!!
What a nice man! I think you definitely get a good workout picking up kids. I'm sure you could beat me in an arm wrestle.
Post a Comment