Lisa
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Raw Emotion
Have you ever spent hours crying? Have you ever cried so hard that no matter what you do you can't stop? I can tell you that before Emma came, I had not. Things change... Since that day, I have felt an overwhelming responsibility to keep her safe, happy and healthy. I feel this responsibility for Madison and Abby too, with Emma there is just more weight. Madison and Abby are pretty easy to keep safe, happy, and healthy minus the biting and hitting that Em can dish out to them. To keep Emma safe is quite the task some days. It takes a toll on me to know that she is 4 years old but that she does not think like a 4 year old or she is not strong like a 4 year old. It takes a toll on me that I have passed a point with Abby where I know she is safe to walk down the stairs, but my Em still has falls. It takes a toll on me when at times I have no choice but to hold her down with constraint because she will either hurt herself or someone else. It takes a toll on me when I try to keep her happy. At times Emma has Autistic overtones that carry over and it can be a ten minute ordeal just to get her to take a spoon. It takes a toll on me when she knows what she wants but can't tell me and ends up in screaming fits until I figure it out. It takes a toll on me when I have to completely drop everything I need to do because if I don't give Em my constant attention she will have a meltdown. It takes a toll on me when I try to keep her healthy because no matter how hard I try to protect her she still gets sick. It takes a toll on me that she is living with a disease that has devastating complications and no matter how hard I try her blood sugars are still out of control. It takes a toll on me that with her yeast problems, staph problems, ears, colds, sinuses, or lungs she has some kind of infection to fight off EVERY day. It takes a toll on me that between keeping her blood sugars stable and making sure she is breathing at night my mind really never rests. It takes a toll on me that I have to continually put her through some kind of torture to keep her healthy. Whether it involves needles, medicine, testing, or hospitals. It really takes a toll on me when I have to be strong and go through with something even though I know she will hate it because I know she needs it. It takes a toll on me that I am so grateful to be given Emma and cherish her every minute of every day and at the same time have a hard time handling it all. All of it has taken a toll on me and produces all kinds of feelings and emotion. Frustration, sadness, anger, fear, elation, gratitude, I could go on and on. These feelings, this emotion is very raw and if it gets tapped into I'm in big trouble. Some days it is buried way down there and others it is bubbling at the surface like a volcano waiting to erupt. I have been feeling it bubble up a little bit lately and yesterday the volcano erupted. I had an unusual experience in the morning that sort of triggered the cry fest. Just when I was getting it under control a thought would pop into my head and it would start all over again. I feel better today(I always do after a good cry) but I wish there was a better way of it coming out. I could barely close my eyes last night due to swelling and this morning brought on the aftermath headache.........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



12 comments:
I'm so sorry Lisa...if there was a way I could take some of those bad emotions away, I would. I'm glad you have the good ones in there too...most people would burn out with way less than what you deal with on an everyday basis. I know you wish there was a better way of those emotions coming out--- but a good cry is sometimes the best cure (for a while). Just know that we love you---and if there's anything ever that we can do to help--please ask.
Lisa - this is breaking my heart!! I am so sorry!! I wish I could take your pain away. You are an amazing person, You were blessed with Emma because Heavenly Father knows you are amazing and would give her the very best care. Not many people could do what you do, or would be willing to do what you do. Don't ever feel ashamed to cry all day, in fact you might just need to do it more often. What can I do to help you? I feel so helpless, I would take your kids ANYTIME, I'll bring you dinner, I'll do your laundry, I'll clean your house, you name it I'll do it. I want to be a better friend. Little Emma is SOOOOOOO special, which means you are SOOOOOOOOOO special to be trusted with her. You are going straight to Heaven!! I love you and would seriously do anything for you.
I am so sorry you are having a hard time, all I can say is that I know that you are an amazing person, and Heavenly Father must think so as well and trust you more than anyone can understand. I hope only the best for your family and would love to get together sometime. Have a great day.
I know that some days are exhausting, difficult and just plain hard!!!! I watched yesterday as Emma gave you a big hug, patted your back and then give you a kiss. She seemed to know just what you needed. I love that about our little Emma. I adore her!!
I don't know how you do it sometimes. You are such a strong person. I know I couldn't do it and I am grateful to people like you who are so strong and that can take on these challenges. I understand the overwhelming feeling of trying to keep them safe and happy and healthy. Sometimes I feel like a rotten mother because I am trying to work and put Chris through school and so Kaden has to go to daycare. I know it doesn't even relate closely to what you deal with but I know the feeling of just needing to cry because those emotions get so strong. Your the best, keep up the hard work
Lisa, if there is ever anything I can do for you, please just call me---or yell out your back door. I hope you're having a good day. When can we get together again?
I have had a lot of those days lately in my life. I can handle a newborn without my other two kids. I can handle my other two kids without a newborn. But all of them together is Extremely overwhelming...and that is a huge understatement! I am basically a single parent with steve's work taking him to vegas once a week and working him around the clock other days. Plus my two older boys are out of control in their behavior. In Burley during Christmas they destroyed their house. We had to rent a steam cleaner and clean 3 or 4 rooms from markers all over the carpet and candy and broken lamps. Don't even get me stared on trying to get them to take naps or go to bed. That is not a battle...it's an all out war! I am right there with you on being a volcano and bubbling over. But when I erupt, it is mostly sreaming and yelling, not as much crying. But I have had times when you cry so hard for so long that your eyes are swollen shut. I love you Lisa. I think of you as one of my greatest friends in this battle they call Motherhood. We just have to remember that we signed up of this job in heaven (I think we were bribed with chocolate and back rubs). I am better at writing my feelings down then talking about them, but I am pretty good at listening. So when ever you need to vent, call me sister!
I'm so sorry Lisa. Writing out "emotional vomit" can be very healing in of itself, so I am glad you are sharing your feelings through the written word. Love you so much!
xoxoxo
Oh, sweetie I totally understand what you're talking about. It's like some days you feel like you can be ok with everything, but other days are too much... anyway I'm going to e-mail you more later! Hugs!
WOW, thanks for that (oh, this is clogging Julie BTW) I have felt like that the past few weeks, different circumstances, but just like you. Thanks for putting that.
Hey lady, I have had many of those days and like you they don't seem to go away. When one horrible thing starts another seems to follow. This week I have battled the, "why me question?" and the only thing that comes to my heart and mind is "Because I knew you Could!" he knows we can handle this even though days we feel like crying our eyes out he knows he could trust us with these spirits. The days you ask him to give you her pain he answers you with,"I suffered for you." I don't know all the answers and I get angry, sad, and confused but at those times I try to fall to my knees and pray. We really need to see each other I think it would be therapy for the both of us.
Love ya
Oh Lisa! I seriously want to cry with you after reading that post. There are soooo many times that (even though it's been a bit since we've lived near each other) that I've thought of the example of pure love that you've been to me. I've always noticed that even though you have all these things you have had to deal with personally---waaay more than any person should ever have to deal with, you have ALWAYS been aware of other people's needs around you. I've always been in such awe of that great talent of yours--to love and serve! All three of your girls were obviously meant to come to such a wonderful person who Heavenly Father knew would take such good care of them and love them like he would. I wish I was there too, so that I could come give you a break and help make some of your days a little lighter. Love you lots! Hang in there!
Michelle
Post a Comment