Saturday, September 11, 2010

Want to be Emma's Buddy?



Well, it's that time of year again-Buddy Walk time. Did you know that October is Down syndrome Awareness month? It usually kicks off the end of September when Buddy Walks start all across the country. There will be special opportunities throughout the country to learn about Down syndrome and to promote acceptance and inclusion of individuals born with this genetic condition. More importantly, it's a time to raise awareness of the potential these individuals have. When Emma was a newborn, her potential was sad to think about, mostly due to my innocent ignorance. I remember walking around a toy store, when she was 2 months old, wondering if she would even be able to play with the many toys that surrounded me. Looking back now, I want to laugh at how completely clueless I really was. She runs and plays like both of her sisters. She knows what she wants, trust me, there is no stopping her.

I only know the truth now because I have the privilege of spending every day with her. My eyes were opened even more to her potential, when I attended the National Down Syndrome Convention this summer. It was an amazing experience and I feel lucky to have attended. There were several self-advocates(born with Ds)who spoke. They spoke about their travels, adventures, jobs and their apartments that they lived in on their own. I walked away saying to myself "I'm really not going to put a cap on her growth now, she can do anything". She can do anything as long as I know that she can and as long as others around her in the community know she can. If she wants to work when she grows up, it more than likely won't be a possibility if the workforce has no idea of her true potential.

I met a family at the convention that told me a story about their adult son, born with Down syndrome. His father dropped him off for a job interview one day and was pleased to hear later that day that his son had been hired. He had been going to work every day for 2 weeks , when the father stopped in to visit his son, realizing quickly his son was nowhere to be found. He found him, much to his surprise, across the street working at another store. He learned that his son had gone across the street and asked for a job because he wanted to work there instead and the owner had hired him on the spot. Two things really stood out to me as I listened to their story 1. children, young adults, and adults born with Ds know what they want-just like we do and 2. I was so touched and impressed with the owner of the store that hired their son. The story proves how powerful acceptance of individuals born with Ds can be. I'm amazed that he not only recognized him as an adult, but also treated him like one. Most of the time, finding jobs for individuals born with Ds can be quite the production with social workers, hard work on the parents end, etc. I wonder if the owner of that store will ever know the difference he made in that man's life. This is just one aspect of awareness that needs to spread, I could go on and on.

The question is what can you do to help? You can find a Buddy Walk to participate in at buddywalk.org or make an online donation at Emma's fundraising page for the Utah Down Syndrome Foundation by going to www.firstgiving.com/d-squared. The funds we are helping to raise will help improve the lives of individuals born with Ds. We ask for your support in making a difference in not only Emma's life, but all individuals born with Ds. We are almost half way to our fundraising goal, if 100 people donate $5-we'll make our goal. We would love to even double or triple our goal, something that could easily be a possibility if all of you help spread the word about her page. Our theme for this year's walk is "More Alike Than Different". Post this logo on your blog and help us spread awareness.