Friday, November 12, 2010

Discovering Myself

Let's face it, we all struggle in one way or another and probably in many ways.

I made an amazing discovery today about one of my own. While running this morning, I was thinking about how much I struggle when I run. I get a side stitch every time. I used to never get them, and ever since the first one, I can't get them to stay away. I love the accomplishment of a good run and crave the runners high. But, man oh man I hate running. Some people love it though and I've wondered why every time I run. While running today, I realized that I am much better at surviving in the special needs world than I am in the running world. The hitting, meltdowns, high sugars, low sugars, and illness are all exhausting but fit me better. It's something hard that I can do.

It almost doesn't make sense right? Do I cry? Yes. Do I fall apart? That's a big fat yes. Do some days feel like too much? Yes. At the same time, I am able to do this. This is my path to run on. A thought I had was that I'm not built for running. I'm built for the world inside the world-the special needs world-the Down syndrome world. For a girl that has struggled with confidence her whole life, it feels good to realize I fit somewhere.

3 comments:

Shalet said...

I. Love. That. thanks for sharing.

kelly said...

i saw your comment on homebased mom. i have been gluten free for 4 years, email me with any questions i would be happy to help. my daughter and i rarely miss a thing, once in a while a krispy kreme screams my name but we really do just fine!
(kellybishop1@hawaiiantel.net)

Bugg's mama said...

You have a beautiful special daughter and I love your blog. I have a son with special needs. It is a great life, isn't it?

Love, Bree
PS: I'm from Utah, too!