Monday, March 30, 2009

Mind Games

The mind is a funny thing.  I have been "trying" to get ready for a 5k run on April 18th and it sure is making me think.  Last Saturday, I was able to make it a little over a mile and a half and to be honest I really struggled.  A funny confession to the serious runners, but I am learning that it is strictly a mind game for me.  I keep thinking about how I can push myself very well when it comes to Emma, but I am having a hard time with winning while running.  If you haven't had to witness or take part in "torturing" your child, consider yourself lucky.  It isn't fun to watch her go through all that she has, still I am able to always find the strength to push myself there.  I'm trying to tell myself that if I can survive that, then I can definitely survive running three miles.  We'll see if I can train my brain.  

Have you ever wondered if taking a trip near your home felt like an actual vacation?  It does.  Jeff could tell I was at what we call a breaking point this last weekend and knew I needed a mini vacation(how we survive).  I think I had mentioned that I needed a vacation, but didn't want to drive anywhere. What to do on a Saturday at lunchtime?  I got home to find Jeff waiting for me and the girls with our bags packed.  We went to the matinee and went and stayed at a hotel only 20 minutes from our house.     I have the coolest husband in the world.  He told me that it wasn't the city that mattered, it was the location.  Which ended up being the hotel chain that we usually stay at when we travel.  We had a blast and it really did feel like we were on vacation.  Again, the mind is a funny thing.    

4 comments:

Troy and Brittany said...

So, that's where you were! haha. How fun!

Karrie said...

I am going to try that next time....

Shelley Eggett said...

What a good hubby! That's a good idea. Plus the kids don't care where it is, they just think it's fun to sleep anywhere but home.

I agree with the mind games, I have to breathe deep, and tell myself Mind over Body, Mind over Body, over and over while I run.

Also, when I fixed a green dinner for St. Patricks day, I COULD NOT eat it. I was sick just looking at it. Even though it was food I normally like o.k. and I knew it tasted the same, I just couldn't swallow it, including the green milk.

Adriane said...

Sounds like a fun little "trip"! Good luck for your run; I couldn't run 10 blocks, lol!