Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mother like daughter

I grossly underestimated the impact this little surgery would have on my life.  If you wondering, it has actually been quite painful.  I don't know why I thought getting my mouth sliced open, under my tongue, wouldn't  hurt that bad.  Let me just say that I spent a lot of time in recovery (5 hours) because my small airways collapsed from the anesthesia and I was having a hard time breathing.  I was blessed with the privilege of rooming with not one, but two patients that had colonoscopy's.  They were really letting them rip.  When the first lady was brought in I could tell she was a lot older and she just kept farting and farting and they were LOUD.  I kept laughing on the inside.  Later on I overheard the nurse explaining the gas is due to the air they use during the procedure, I was honestly a little relieved.  Roomy number two was younger and not so free in letting it escape.  Eventually, after some coaxing from the nurse, she just let em rip.  It was all very entertaining.  On a recovery note, well after five hours my oxygen sats were still kind of low and they kept telling me they couldn't let me leave yet.  I was kind of frustrated because I have oxygen at home and a saturation monitor.  I'm used to this kind of crap happening with Em, but I was not so patient with myself.  After a couple of hours I convinced them that I could handle this on my own at home.  I guess having a child with special needs can really have its advantages sometimes.  I spent the rest of the night on oxy, thanks to the extra tank I keep in Em's closet.  By morning I was fine, I did however have a new appreciation for Em(oxy kind of burns your nose).  Funny things happen to me and this proved true when my skin started turning red, bright red a couple days later.  Turns out I am allergic to the pain med that I was given, ha ha!  As of now, I am doing good.  I lived on a diet of yogurt, pudding and cream of wheat and lost 6 pounds.  SWEET!   I'll take that silver lining any day.  


8 comments:

Troy and Brittany said...

Oh my goodness! I would've been laughing so hard if people at the hospital were that gassy! Also, what medicine did they give you that you ended up being allergic to? Thanks for letting Jeff come over to help us last night! He's always such a great worker.

~Tiffany said...

Haha.. sounds like quite the experience Lisa. I'm glad you're finally feeling better! Love ya!

Tiffany said...

Poor nurse coaxing people to pass gas! What a job, who wants to be a nurse seriously!!!? I am glad you are feeling better. I was wondering if you had survived after not hearing from you guys in a couple days.

Marc and Megan said...

I'm so sorry that you had to go through such an awful surgery - it does not sound fun at all. I'm glad, at least, that you had some comic relief during recovery... what a funny story! I hope you're still recovering well and getting back to your normal routines. I wish I lived closer so that I could come help out in some way. You're in my thoughts and prayers!

Niki said...

Does this mean that I am going to have some sort of catastrophic event during my surgery? :) Glad you are feeling better.

Kristen Jensen said...

Lisa you are too funny. Despite the pain that you had to go through, this entry really made me smile.

Adriane said...

I'm sorry it's been so painful! I've come to the decision that no surgery can be "easy surgery"! :) But I'm glad you still have such a positive - and funny - outlook!

Shelley Eggett said...

Has it seriously been 2 weeks since I read your blog????? How did that happen?

I am laughing so hard about the farting stories. You are my kind of girl, just tell it like it is.

6 pounds is awesome! I hope you are feeling better.