Lisa had surgery this morning to remove a ranula from underneath her tongue. She talked about the upcoming surgery in a previous post. The doc doesn't know the exact cause, but most come from some kind of local trauma to a salivary gland (i.e. a chip or piece of popcorn that scratches the salivary gland opening). Usually when this happens, the gland heals on its own. However, Lisa's did not and instead, covered over with scar tissue leading to the formation of a mucocele called a ranula. It has been bothering her for a couple months, slowly swelling with blood, then exploding and realeasing the pressure, only to start swelling again a couple days later. Anyhoo, surgery was successful, and we're just waiting for them to realease us to head home. Here are some pics, she'll probably kill me later, but take advantage for those lucky enough to see them today or tomorrow before she deletes them....

Before surgery

3 attempts at an I.V., 3 blown veins!
4 blown veins (one on each wrist, one on right hand, one on right forearm), 5 bloody pokes, 1 successful I.V., finally!
Recovery room, and not feeling so hot.
I tried to get her to rate her pain, she mumbled something, then said 'a lot, then it goes down to a 6, then back up.' That's all I got out of her. Hopefully she wakes up soon, so we can get her home to recover.
Jeff



6 comments:
Oh I wish I could be there to help. I hope all goes well. And come on shes not a pin cushion, probably felt like one though! Good luck with everything!
Hope she feels better soon! Please let us know if you need anything!!
What kind of a retard doesn't start an IV in the hand. They're the best veins for them!
Wow, that sounds entirely unpleasant... both the mucocele and the surgery!! Wishing you a quick recovery!! :)
side note: what kind of person uses the word "retard"? alrighty, shouldn't have said it but I just can't leave it alone... Grrr
Hope you're all better Lisa.
I missed the boat on this one! Who knew it had been a week since I checked your blog. I hope all is well and recovery is going good.
Post a Comment