Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cool runners pee their pants

Right?  That's what I'm telling myself at least.  The morning of the race was a lot of fun.  I now understand why Jeff is always pacing the floor for a few hours before he races.  Really, I don't know if I can compare the 5k to his races.  I had made a comment to my niece about how I ran the wimpy race after she asked me if I ran with her dad(he ran the 1/2 marathon).  But, my brother in-law insisted there was nothing wimpy about it, so I'm going to believe him.  We were a little rushed getting there and were actually running to the start when the gun went off.  So I didn't get a chance to go to the bathroom before, big mistake.  I also made a rookie mistake by trying to hydrate myself the night before.  Do you know where I'm going with this?  The first mile was awesome, I felt great and was actually enjoying the run.  Minus the granny in the hot pink shirt I could not catch(seriously, she had white hair).  Mile 2 was a little hard, not horrible compared to some struggles I had during my training.  Although, my bladder felt like it was going to explode.  I was too stubborn to stop because I had a goal to finish without stopping at all.  By mile 3 I was feeling pretty good again and was excited to cross the finish line.  I had been practicing my runs with speedwork at the end so that I could finish really strong(for me anyway).  Jeff, Kristen and I were getting ready to round the corner for the start of the finish when we decided to really push it.  Two seconds into it I felt a warm gush, oh crap I thought.  I started slowing, but Jeff was encouraging me to keep going-so I did.  After several warm gushes, I knew I had to slow down.  I still finished strong enough I guess but all I was thinking about was "I'm peeing my pants". HA HA!  I'm hoping that it is a right of passage to have an embarrassing moment like that and not just really bad luck(I have a great relationship with that).  The really funny part is that on the drive up in the morning we were talking about the marathon.  One of us asked what the runners do when they have to go to the bathroom.  Jeff started talking about how some of them just pee while they are running so they don't have to stop.  I was so grossed out by that and kept saying-that is so sick.  Karma paid me a visit, I can't stop laughing. Overall, it was a great experience.  I finished with a pace of 11:57, my goal was at least 12, I'm happy about that.  I'm working towards a half marathon for the end of summer, maybe I'll wear depends for that one!! 

10 comments:

Troy and Brittany said...

wow! That's funny! Did you bring a change of clothes??

Karrie said...

THATS RIGHT -COOL RUNNERS PEE THEIR PANTS!!! I THINK THAT ALL LADIES WHO HAVE HAD KIDS GET A BREAK ON THIS ONE...WAY TO GO ON THE RACE, EVEN THOUGH YOU FINISHED WITH WET PANTS...

KARRIE

Carrie and Jeff said...

I've hear that runners do that, and people do it for bicycle races too. I thought i was gross too. Good thing you wore black so no one probably noticed. And if people saw your urine on the pavement they probably just thought you were sweating (I'm sure you didn't pee that much, did you?).

Tiffany said...

Funny! I feel like that all of the time lately, I am always just running for the bathroom...love those babies though!

Kristen Jensen said...

HA HA HA! Lisa I love you!

Linsey Allen said...

Hey Lisa!!! It's so fun to see your family!! You're kids are darling!! So I was wondering if you could send me your email address so I can add you to my private list!! I would love for you to keep in touch. Just email me at lallen84@gmail.com

Tell your family hi for me!! Sure do miss them being in Idaho!!!

The Armantrout family said...

That is so funny, you are so tough to just keep on running, now that shows commitment! love ya

~Tiffany said...

Oh Lisa!! you crack me up!! I can totally piture it!! You always have the greatest stories!! I'm so proud of you!! Maybe someday I can be "cool" like you!!
Love you!! Tiff

jonkas said...

Thanks for making my day!! That was great---but seriously, if you've had kids--you totally understand that feeling! I was clogging somewhere last summer- and went to do a jump and kick---about peed my pants!!! Now I make sure I use the bathroom before every performance!! :) Love ya!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I laughed so hard!! That is a great story. I think it's so cute that Jeff writes on the blog. Jason barely knows the password to get on the computer.
It was good to see you last weekend.
Mary