Saturday, April 18, 2009

One more post, then I'm off to bed (our race is in 5 hours and counting....).  Lisa and I went to the temple last night to do sealings and had a very special experience.  There were 4 couples and not many sealings to do, so the sealer took the opportunity to teach us some things about the sealing ordinance and resurrection.  I love teaching moments like that when the spirit is so strong and testifies of what is being taught!  He touched on one specific point about resurrection (I won't go into detail) and Lisa and I both wanted to talk with him some more afterward, so we stayed in the sealing room with him after the other couples had gone.  We told him about Emma, and asked how her 'state' fit into what he had mentioned.  Am I confusing you?  Anyway, the point is, he got very emotional as we started talking about people who are born into this world with special needs and what their mission is in this life.  He told us that her exaltation is already secured and guaranteed, and quoted several authorities on the topic including Joseph Smith and James Talmage.  It's not that we didn't already know this, but it was such a tender moment that we shared with him and he told us about his sister with special needs and his nephew that also has Down syndrome.  He had such a strong, humble adoration for these special souls and it was humbling for Lisa and me to remember, again, that we are lucky to have such an elect daughter of God in our home with us every day.  It's so hard for us to remember this each day, though, amongst her mountain of health issues, constant and unending diabetic care, behavior disorders, developmental delays, hittings, beatings, fits, tantrums, physical disabilities, food aversions, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.....  It was, however, comforting to be reminded that the Lord looks on the desires of our hearts, not solely on our actions, as we exhaust ourselves every day in her care just in hopes of having her with us in this life as long as we possibly can.  It breaks our hearts to see the lack of attention, teaching, and care Madison and Abby get as a result of their sister's care.  And, it doesn't leave much time for quiet pondering and spiritual development in our home.  But, we know where the desires of hearts are and we can press on, knowing that the Lord, alone, will be our ultimate, and righteous Judge when we are presented before Him.  

Good night, dear diary....

5 comments:

jonkas said...

I'm glad you had that moment--that touched me as well hearing about it. Thank you for sharing--and thank you for sharing Emma with all of us. I know we don't see the day to day struggles--but I'm so happy to be her aunt and share the joy of Emma. She always brings a smile to my face--and makes me want to be a better person--which is what we need to do--if we're going to live with her after this life, since she's already guaranteed exaltation!! Love you all!

Tiffany said...

Isn't it such a blessing to have the gospel in our lives and special souls like Emma. I think you would be suprised at how much Madison and Abby are gaining by having Emma in their lives. There are things about Chris as a person that I am so grateful for he attributes a lot of his patience and acceptance of everyone from Jessie his sister. Miss you guys!

Adriane said...

That's so awesome; I just love the temple so much, I wish we could go more often! Thanks for sharing your experience. It's sometimes so hard to keep your perspective during the day-to-day, but when you do stop to think about things, it is just an amazing blessing to have our kids :)

Carrie and Jeff said...

oh I'm so mad that we didn't go with you guys. I didn't notice I had a message on my phone until the next day. I was talking on my cell phone with my sister when Lisa called...and I forgot to check the home phone when I was done. Oh well, we'll have to catch ya next time. What a cool experience!

Shelley Eggett said...

That was beautiful. She really is such a special spirit which means you guys are very special to be entrusted with her care.