Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanks

I'm terrible at taking time around Thanksgiving to actually stop and think about and give thanks for what we have and what we have been blessed with throughout the year.  I'm usually so focused on Christmas because I'm already out hanging lights on houses, and listening to Christmas music, and getting in the general Christmas spirit.  This year, however, I need to pause because I (we) have A LOT to be thankful for this last year and I would be the most ungrateful person ever if I didn't stop for a few minutes and note a few things.  Here goes:

  1. Thank you to Heavenly Father.  Everything else I will list has come from Him.
  2. Thank you to Max.  You have been a life saver in every literal sense of the word.  Thank you for listening even when I know we sounded like we were whining.  You are our LIGHT ANGEL!  If our girls could thank you, I'm sure they would thank you for giving them their parents back...  Thank you.
  3. Thank you to Nan and Papa.  We have asked you to be parents again for our girls on top of your own trials this year.  Our girls adore you, I know you know that, but they do.  Thank you for still living by us and not running away, eventhough you had every right to.  Thank you for feeding us, consoling us, and making us laugh when we needed it.
  4. Thank you for Emma's benefit fair.  Thank you to everyone who donated, advertised, campaigned, helped, managed booths, purchased auction items, fed us, danced, sang, and all who attended.  It was one of the most wonderful days of our life and Emma's.  Most of all, thank you Joyce.
  5. Thank you, Lisa.  I love you!  I couldn't have made it through without you by my side.  Thank you for your patience and unconditional love.  How did I get so lucky?  Thank you for giving me the 3 most beautiful girls I have ever seen.  Thank you for being their mommy.  Thank you for feeding, bathing, teaching, clothing, loving, adoring, diapering, cleaning, and playing with them each day.  (I'm sure I missed a few 'ings')  Thank you for taking care of Emma like no one else can.  You sacrifice your life every day to make sure she lives to see the next.  THANK YOU!
  6. Thank you to our families for sticking with us and helping us when they could.  We have worn you out this year.  Thank you to my family for traveling and leaving the comforts of home to help us.
  7. Thank you to all our friends, and that we can still call you friends.  We have not kept up with our part of our friendships, but thank you for keeping yours.  Often, we have 'disappeared' for a time.  Sorry...  It's not you, it's us and our craziness.
  8. Thank you to Emma's doctors, nurses, therapists, and specialists.  There is a reason we moved here and we know now that it was so Emma could receive of your care.
  9. Thankful I still have a job.  In the economic crisis and downturn we are experiencing, many have lost theirs.  Please think of them this season, for it just as easily could have been any of us.
  10. Thankful for a beautiful home that keeps us warm as the temperatures drop.  Thank you to Mike, Trent, Dad, Jason, Mark, Tyler, and Lisa for helping me finish the basement.  It is heavenly to have space for Mads, Emma, and Abby to roam.
  11. Thankful for a bountiful garden that fed us for months.  Thanks, Dad, for planting it for us.  There is nothing better than garden tomatoes!  Thanks Max for your garden skillet recipe.
  12. Thank you to neighbors that have helped with the yard and the never-ending weeds.
  13. Thank you Bishop for trying to understand us and helping us.  Thank you to church members who have given of your time to help us.  Thank you for helping Lisa while I have been 'out' after surgery.
  14. Thank you Chelise for getting Mads to and from school everyday.  Thank you for your family's love and generosity.
  15. Thank you to everyone who has taken time to HEAR us.
  16. Thank you to Nan, Papa, Ryan, Kristen, Troy, Brittany, Kristi, Greg, Mom, and Dad for watching our kids so we could have a couple of much-needed getaways.
  17. Thank you to JDRF and NSDF for your efforts in creating awareness.
  18. Thank you to the Dan Peterson school.  Emma is finally where she needs to be and is already progressing so much this year.  Thank you to her wonderful teachers, aids, and bus drivers.
  19. Thank you Madison and Abby for taking the back seat to your sister on so many daily occasions.  You both deserve accolades for showing your sister your love even when she sometimes doesn't return it.  (Instead she beats you up...)
  20. Thankful for the energy to create this blog so we can keep our life in balance by routinely 'checking in' with ourselves and noting our thoughts.
What are you thankful for?

Jeff

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Jeff how did you type that one handed? That was very sincere and from the heart, it made me teary eyed (however I get teary eyed at everything, probably a lot like your wife). I would write everything I am Thankful for but can't write as beautifully as you can. We do want you to know we are greatful for your friendship! We appreciate so much your unwavering example of strength through trials and adversity. And how strong you two are and how much you have accomplished without probably even realizing it! We love you guys and are so grateful for good friends.

Crewton said...

Lisa
HEY!!! How are you!!!!??? Your family is so cute! So, what have you been up to? I will defiantly let you know if I go private again. I was having problems with blogger not sending out the invites. The whole reason for going private is because Sheldon was looking into new jobs and while he was interviewing we didn't want employers searching his name. We don't have anything bad on our blog, you just never know if employers would be biased or not. But everything has worked out.

OHH, it's so good to hear from you.

Julie

Kristen Jensen said...

This was a great post. It helped me to remember all the things I am grateful for too. What a wonderful thing to do in the spirit of Thanksgiving.

Trent Cheney Family said...

Jeff,
I am totally impressed!!!! This blog I can tell is a great thing for you two. Thanks for sharing all you are thankful for and reminding me of all that I have to be thankful for. Most of all I'm thankful for family...don't know where any of us would be with out each other! Thanks,
Melissa